Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Succulents

I love plants and gardening. My dad has the most amazing green thumb you've ever seen and I spent many-a Spring and Summer in the flower beds with him and my mom.

Not only do I have a teeeeeeny outdoor space, it gets zero shade. I live on the third floor and for the most part enjoy it. I don't mind climbing the stairs if it means not having someone stomping above me all the time. The only drawback is the balcony. Since it's on the top floor that means it has no roof or covering of any kind. I've thought about trying to install something but I recently reread our apartment lease and apparently that's a lease violation.

I lived in denial for a while, I bought plants and put them outside anyway. They died very, very quickly. Then I bought "full sun" plants and they died, too. Now I may not have the green thumb of my father, but I can at least keep a plant alive. I think it's just too hot and dry here for any outdoor plants other than cacti.

After some thinking I went to our local home improvement store and bought a succulent to keep inside on the coffee table. I bought a beautiful milk glass pedestal bowl a while back and I knew it would make the perfect planter. Succulents are particularly hearty. They don't take much water or much looking after and they're very pretty. There are lots of different kinds to choose from! We've also started growing a tiny herb garden in our windowsill, so stay tuned for sproutlet photos soon!





Plant: Lowe's
Milk glass bowl: Goodwill
Brass bird: Goodwill
Candy dish: Goodwill
Tray: Goodwill
Coffee table: Goodwill


No comments:

Post a Comment