Friday, May 10, 2013

Working with What You Have

I've been blue for the past few days. No real reason, just one of those weeks I guess. The weather here in Austin has been rainy and overcast, so we'll just blame it on that.

I had to do my weekly grocery trip today, which I LOATHE. I usually put it off for as long as I can because I hate going so much. In an effort to cheer myself up I planned on buying some flowers for my coffee table, but in all the stress and hassle of the grocery store I completely forgot until I was halfway home. As much as I wanted some fresh flowers, I wasn't about to turn around for them. Plus it was over 90 degrees today and I had cold stuff in the car. I seriously needed my ice cream more than flowers.

When I pulled into my apartment complex I noticed for the first time that the magnolia trees are pretty much in full bloom. Not sure why I haven't noticed it before. After putting my groceries away I went for a quick walk with just my keys and a pair of scissors.

I go walking a few times a week and I rarely ever bring my cell phone or iPod with me. When I first started I did, and I found that if I wasn't checking my email constantly I was checking to see what time it was. Which kind of defeats the purpose of going for a walk to clear your head or whatever. I don't even really like to listen to music when I walk. I just want it to be me and my thoughts.

 It took me a while to find a bloom I could reach (I'm only just over 5 feet!), but I finally did. It hasn't bloomed fully yet, but I'm hoping over the next few days it will. I also found a very friendly black cat with a bushy tail that I stopped to pet and in return I was given some leg rubs.

I love magnolias. I was born and raised in a little town in southern Mississippi (magnolias are Mississippi's state flower), so I feel a bit of pride when I see one. Hopefully no one judges me too harshly for hacking a limb off one!

If you find yourself in a similar situation to mine, take a quick walk around your apartment complex or neighborhood. Even if you don't find a flower in bloom, there's lots of greenery this time of year that would look lovely in your home!







Coffee table: Goodwill
Tray: Goodwill
Candy dish: Goodwill (It's a vintage Anchor Hocking chip bowl!)
Vase: Salvation Army (I don't think it's an actual vintage milk jug, but it's cute anyway!)
Candle: Painted by my friend Andrea



No comments:

Post a Comment